Ever since October 2012, the momentum of my past time hobby that involves tinkering with the Prius has slowed down to a lull. Between relocating, planning for multiple holidays, planning for holiday vacations and budgeting for said vacations, work related commitments, and visiting relatives out of state, most if not all Prius-related project had to take a back seat.
Now that I’m pretty much settled in and have taken care of all post holiday commitments, I’m ready to resume tinkering with the Prius again. This means more DIY installation guides coming in the months ahead. Because my schedule is still usually pretty tight, quality DIY guides will still take some time to write up. Right now, I am in the process of writing a DIY installation guide for the Prius PLUS Performance Ground Effects kit. I ordered the kit from an online OEM Toyota Parts distributor that is selling the entire 7-piece kit for a little over $700.00 ! The price is by far the lowest I’ve come across. Shipping to Southern California was about $67.00, tax free since it’s from out of state. They also have the full line of Prius PLUS Performance Ground Effects kit available for the 2010-2011 3rd gen model line-up as well, but at a higher price (to my surprise).
I have also ordered a Hamsar 45050 (2-4 headlights unit; the 45060 model for 2 headlights appears to have been discontinued) day time running light (DRL) relay. The 2012+ 3rd gen Prius has built-in LED day time running lights, but I don’t believe the 2010-2011 models have them. The project is adapted from the exact same project completed on a 2005 Acura RSX Type S, DIY: Daytime running lights (DRL) on your USDM Acura RSX, and involves installing the HS-45060 relay to convert your high beams into DRLs by powering them at 40% of their maximum output level. For this project, I will be hooking up the system to a spare fog light switch so I can toggle the high beam DRL on/off at my leisure instead of letting the ignition wire control the on/off mode as was the case in the RSX installation. I pursued this project for two reasons:
- Simple DRL solution for 2010-2011 3rd gen Prius owners who wish to add DRL to their Prius, and
- I like the looks of the yellow Nokya high beam bulbs glowing at 40% of their maximum output in the high beam cavity of my RSX’s headlights, so I’m carrying the trait over to the 2012 Prius. For the 2012+ 3rd gen Prius, this mod is purely novelty and cosmetic but also fully functional.
I’ll post the comprehensive Prius PLUS Performance Ground Effects kit installation write-up along with where to order the kit at $700.00 within two weeks. Other Prius DIY guides in the pipeline:
- LED turn signal mirror cover installation
- Blacked-out headlights with custom LED strip
- Lower door moldings installation
- Prius PLUS Performance rear sway bar installation
- Illuminated door sills installation
Stay tuned 🙂